PDA

View Full Version : KCKK 1510 AM/93.7 FM Sold To Hunt Broadcasting. UPDATE: Goes Adult Hits "93-7 The Rock"

Rob
October 14th, 2013, 12:39 AM
I was browsing the stations for sale on Radio/TV Deals (http://www.radiotvdeals.com) and found this ad:

"COLORADO - DENVER-TOP 20 MARKET HIGH POWER AM WITH FM TRANSLATOR
ASKING PRICE JUST REDUCED!

Asking Price $1,950,000.00

This is a high power AM with full market coverage of a top twenty market. The sale would include an excellent FM translator. The station was recently completely rebuilt with a new directional antenna system, transmitter and standby. It has a long term antenna site lease with a new owned building. This is a great dynamic market that includes a very substantial Hispanic population.

Buyer could purchase the AM station without the FM translator for a reduced price."

Could this be an ad for Mile High Sports (http://milehighsports.com/) KCKK 1510 AM and K229BS 93.7 FM? I think so since they are the only AM with an FM translator station in the Denver market right now...

jtr115
October 14th, 2013, 02:42 AM
That's what I figured when I saw the ad.

Colorado Media Newsroom
December 11th, 2013, 06:22 AM
From All Access:

4-K'S LLLP is selling Sports KCKK-A (MILE HIGH SPORTS 1510)/LITTLETON, CO and FM translator K229BS/LAKEWOOD, CO to HUNT BROADCASTING LLC for $1.6 million.

more (http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/125092/kckk-a-denver-sold?ref=rss)http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/allaccess/radio-news/~4/cXbt5CVvVV8

radiodude
December 11th, 2013, 03:39 PM
So, I wonder what they are going to do with KCKK?

Ghost of Timber Dick
December 12th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Hopefully 24/7 Gil Whiteley. I just can't get enough of that voice of his.

spikey
December 13th, 2013, 06:26 PM
I believe they're just flippers, not actual operators.

LittleFloyd
March 4th, 2014, 08:06 AM
KCKK has been off the air since at least Monday morning. Any reason why?

LittleFloyd
March 4th, 2014, 09:48 AM
KCKK has been off the air since at least Monday morning. Any reason why?

They are upgrading their signal and will be back on the air.

Rob
March 4th, 2014, 01:56 PM
KCKK 1510 AM/93.7 FM was sold in December, so changes are coming... in fact, the closing of the sale hit the FCC database on Monday and the signal has been off the air since then.

The Mile High Sports format (http://milehighsports.com/) (Nuggets and Avs' radio home) that was on KCKK 1510 AM/93.7 FM has moved to Lincoln Financial's KQKS 107.5 FM HD-2 so that it can be put on a new FM translator coming to 94.1 FM. More on the future of Mile High Sports move at this thread (http://www.coloradomedia.net/forums/showthread.php?37576-Mile-High-Sports-Format-Moves-To-94-1-FM-KQKS-107-5-FM-HD-2).

Rob
March 6th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Since it has been sold and there's probably a new format coming very soon to KCKK 1510 AM/93.7 FM...I ask...

What would you put on KCKK 1510 AM/93.7 FM?

No "unique" formats that only cater to you and 5 of your friends...

Answer as if you are a station owner and NEED to make a profit.

And of course it is a given that you need an awesome sales staff to sell commercials on whatever format you have so that the bills are paid. I've seen a few top 10 stations change formats because management and the sales staff had no clue how to sell the format to advertisers...

I'm thinking that there are only a limited amount of formats that would work since we already have a glutton of signals in Denver. Also, 93.7 FM's signal isn't a 100,000 watt boomer than can get into a lot of workplaces during the day, so that also puts another limit on the station I think... so here's my picks in the order I think would do the best. Let me know yours.

1) Alternative 80s & early 90s. Classic Alternative is the "oldies" format for those of us 40+ people now.... The demographics of the people who grew up with and listen to this music is right in the sweet spot for a lot of advertisers. I think there's a big format gap in Denver that a new station can fill that KTCL isn't doing a very good job at - but a lot of KTCL listeners still "deal with" now. Mix in "a little" of the newer Alternative stuff and you will get a good chunk of the 20 to 30-somethings tuning in as well. Previous history in the Denver market with Indie 101.5 and 92x with their subpar signals at the time still showed those stations could get good ratings. You could pull listeners from KTCL, KBCO, KBPI and KALC with this one. This would be my first choice by far.

2) Classic Country. I think that there could be an opening for this format in Denver. It wouldn't be a top 10 in the 12+ ratings, but possibly do well enough. And a lot of Country listeners don't mind listening on an AM signal.

3) Spanish. Denver has a huge Hispanic population. Done right with the right PD, it could do well being an AM/FM combo.

4) Soft AC/Easy Listening Oldies/Nostalgia. It could do well if you could get some of the listeners to Nostalgia KEZW, Oldies KRWZ, Classic Hits KXKL and AC KOSI. But this demo is quickly aging and not a priority to advertisers like the other formats I listed. And you would face a lot more competition with this format.

5) CHR Dance. This was the format that was on 107.1 FM before it became "Jack FM". The station did between 1.0 and 1.5 with this format, a lot better than the Jack format has done. The problem was that they had a hard time selling advertising. Get the right sales staff in there and it could be a good fit.

Chase
March 6th, 2014, 08:58 PM
I would probably put Classic Country on it mainly because I do agree with what Rob was saying about there being an opening for the format and personally I do think it deserves another chance being on the radio in Denver.

Dr Jam
March 7th, 2014, 01:22 PM
I'd have to agree Classic Country would be a great format especially with an FM signal. When 104.3 was Classic Country it did so well it was taking away listeners from KYGO. This is what I heard was the reason LFM (or Jefferson Pilot, I don't remember who the owner was at the time) pulled the plug.

Rob
March 7th, 2014, 01:55 PM
KCKK might be smart to try to get the former KWOF 92.5 FM PD Jonathan Wilde if they do go Classic Country.

Rob
March 7th, 2014, 05:49 PM

I wonder what the format is... AOR? AAA? Religious?

Chase
March 7th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Sounded like an AOR format when I listened earlier I noticed a combination of KOOL and KOSI.

Rob
March 7th, 2014, 06:39 PM
What time was that? I had no idea they were live yet.
I tuned in to 93.7 FM and just heard dead air earlier.

I just went over to 1510 AM and hear a Duran Duran song playing...

Duran Duran - A View To A Kill
Michael Jackson - Rock With You
Pat Benetar - Heartbreaker
Billy Joel - Uptown Girl

It appears the format is Soft AC/Classic Hits. As you said, it appears to be a mix of what KOSI and KXKL does. I'd call it, "Oldies AC".

Chase
March 7th, 2014, 07:50 PM
It was around 2:30 this afternoon. I attempted to come here and let everyone know that they were on the air but my internet was screwy so I couldn't.

What I heard earlier

The Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go?

KC & The Sunshine Band - That's The Way ( I Like It)

Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark

Michael Bolton - When A Man Loves a Woman

Lionel Richie - Dancing On The Ceiling

Dr Jam
March 8th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Is this their true format or are they stunting?

Chase
March 8th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Is this their true format or are they stunting?

I'm thinking it's their true format.

radiodude
March 10th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Wow just want Denver needs an AM/FM ROCK STATION!!!! ROCK on AM!?!? That would sound interesting? I wonder what kind of rock it well be? Something to compete with KBPI?
AM ROCK music? hummm.

Dr Jam
March 10th, 2014, 07:06 PM
I've been listening to them over the past couple of days and to me, they sound like they are trying to imitate Jack. I've heard The Beatles, Joe Cocker, Adele and Katy Perry and just about everything in between. They seem to be having a few problems though. Today I heard Steam's "Nah Nah Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" twice within a half hour.

radiodude
March 11th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Will you know, they have to learn to program the computers, and how to let them run on it's own. I am sure it's not an easy task to do at all! Considering, they have to have some one that has knowledge of
how to use the program to run the music, and how to time it right? So they want to be an everything station? At least the new owners thought of what to use the frequency for? So like pop-rock I am assuming?

Rob
March 11th, 2014, 02:51 PM
It's an AC format that skews older than Jack does. And a little mellower at times. Oldies AC.

I'm sure they will get all of the bugs worked out soon. You always have a plan in place, but with electronics and software, you just never know what you will run into.

LittleFloyd
March 12th, 2014, 09:55 AM
They now have live DJ's. Mornings it is Jim and Woody who said the used to work at KLAK. Then they said starting this afternoon, listen to the Chuck Buell show. I do remember Chuck, tho not sure what station he worked at in Denver.

Rob
March 12th, 2014, 12:38 PM
They now have live DJ's. Mornings it is Jim and Woody who said the used to work at KLAK. Then they said starting this afternoon, listen to the Chuck Buell show. I do remember Chuck, tho not sure what station he worked at in Denver.

I think Chuck Buell was at KIMN in the 60s. The legendary WLS in Chicago as MD in the 70s. And back in Denver at Y-108 doing mornings in the 80s.

Chase
March 12th, 2014, 12:42 PM
I did some searching on Google and looks like Chuck used to work at the old KRXY Y-108 and KIMN 950.

Colorado Media Newsroom
March 13th, 2014, 05:26 AM
From All Access:

The new format for KCKK-A-K229BS/DENVER under new owner HUNT BROADCASTING LLC is a music format, with the DENVER POST reporting that the stations, previously airing a Sports format programmed by MILE HIGH SPORTS, are now airing "the greatest songs of the rock decades, from the 1960s through today" as 93.7 THE ROCK.

Market veterans JIM AND WOODY are hosting mornings, D.J. MCCOY is in middays, and CHUCK BUELL will host afternoons.

MILE HIGH SPORTS recently moved to FM translator K284BR/GOLDEN, CO, fed by the HD2 channel of LINCOLN FINANCIAL MEDIA Urban KQKS (KS107.5)/DENVER

more (http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/127728/denver-gets-a-piece-of-the-rock?ref=rss)

Colorado Media Newsroom
March 13th, 2014, 06:27 AM

From Radio Insight:

Following the relocation of Mile High Sports to 94.1 last week, Hunt Broadcasting has launched Variety Hits “93.7 The Rock” K229BS Loveland/1510 KCKK Littleton, CO.

The new station’s format will feature “the greatest songs of the rock decades, from the 1960s through today” with an emphasis on local news, weather and sports. Jim & Woody will host mornings, D.J. McCoy, most recently at KATC Colorado Springs will host middays, and former KIMN and WLS Chicago DJ Chuck Buell will be heard in afternoons.

more (http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/87991/the-rock-lands-in-denver/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-rock-lands-in-denver)

radiodude
March 13th, 2014, 09:28 AM

From Radio Insight:

Following the relocation of Mile High Sports to 94.1 last week, Hunt Broadcasting has launched Variety Hits “93.7 The Rock” K229BS Loveland/1510 KCKK Littleton, CO.

The new station’s format will feature “the greatest songs of the rock decades, from the 1960s through today” with an emphasis on local news, weather and sports. Jim & Woody will host mornings, D.J. McCoy, most recently at KATC Colorado Springs will host middays, and former KIMN and WLS Chicago DJ Chuck Buell will be heard in afternoons.

more (http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/87991/the-rock-lands-in-denver/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-rock-lands-in-denver)

How can they use the translator at 93.7 in loveland when Pirate radio at 93.5 overiders it and then there is Way FM at 93.9??? It just doesn't work up here since no one can tune in?

radiodude
March 13th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Hey 93.7 isn't out of loveland.. It is out of Lakewood! I knew that info was wrong.

radiodude
March 13th, 2014, 01:16 PM
The new format for KCKK-A-K229BS/DENVER under new owner HUNT BROADCASTING LLC is a music format, with the DENVER POST reporting that the stations, previously airing a Sports format programmed by MILE HIGH SPORTS, are now airing "the greatest songs of the rock decades, from the 1960s through today" as 93.7 THE ROCK.

Market veterans JIM AND WOODY are hosting mornings, D.J. MCCOY is in middays, and CHUCK BUELL will host afternoons.

MILE HIGH SPORTS recently moved to FM translator K284BR/GOLDEN, CO, fed by the HD2 channel of LINCOLN FINANCIAL MEDIA Urban KQKS (KS107.5)/DENVER

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/127728/denver-gets-a-piece-of-the-rock

Colorado Media Newsroom
March 13th, 2014, 02:36 PM
From Radio Online:

Hunt Broadcasting flips Sports/Talk KCKK-AM and K229BS-FM/Denver to a Rock music format as "93.7 The Rock" with the tag line "The Greatest Songs of the Rock Decades From the 1960s Through Today." According to the Denver Post, the stations were previously programmed by Mile High Sports, which recently moved to translator K284BR-FM in the suburb of Golden, CO.

Market vets Jim and Woody will co-host mornings, while D.J. McCoy airs in middays and longtime radio fixture, formerly of WLS and crosstown KIMN-FM, Chuck Buell hosts afternoon drive.

KCKK-AM and its translator on 93.7 FM were sold to Hunt for a reported $1.6 million in December, 2013.

more (http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n28599)

Rob
March 13th, 2014, 06:06 PM
It sounds like a very good lineup for this format.

I grew up listening to DJ McCoy in the 70s and 80s when he ruled radio in Colorado Springs. I got into radio partly because of him and the other personalities that were at KIIQ 102.7 FM and the legendary Top 40 KYSN 1460 AM Colorado Springs. I was lucky enough to work at the same station as him for my first radio gig when I was still in high school. I never ran into him though since I was nights and he was mornings. LOL

I think it's a very good thing that besides just the music, "The Rock" will have personalities that will entertain... and be live.

Rob
March 18th, 2014, 12:37 AM
"The Rock" has a Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/937Therock

Rob
April 25th, 2014, 01:56 AM

Hal Moore, a 54 year radio vet, is joining the crew at Adult Hits KCKK 93.7 FM/1510 AM The Rock (http://www.937therock.com/) on Saturdays 10am-2pm. Moore, a young 74 years old, was last on Oldies KRWZ 950 AM before getting laid off in 2012. He began his career in Denver at KIMN 950 AM and later teamed up with the late Charlie Martin for the "Hal and Charlie Show" on KHOW 630 AM.

Stations where Moore has worked include: KSO, Des Moines, IA, 1959; KIOA, Des Moines, 1961; KIMN, Denver, 1964; WHK, Cleveland, OH, 1967; WKYC, Cleveland, 1968; and Denver stations KHOW, 1969; KEZW, 1996; KCKK, 1998; KXKL, 2001; Jones/Dial-Global Net, 2002; and KRWZ, 2008.

Here's the weekday lineup at KCKK:
6am-10am: The Jim & Woody Morning Show
11am-3pm: DJ McCoy
3pm-7pm: Chuck Buell

Dr Jam
April 25th, 2014, 11:13 AM
I hope this station can be a success. They are the "anti-ClearChannel." They are live and local, using veteran DJs and playing a wide variety rather than some small list of hits based on what some consultant says.

Rob
April 25th, 2014, 05:57 PM
I hope this station can be a success. They are the "anti-ClearChannel." They are live and local, using veteran DJs and playing a wide variety rather than some small list of hits based on what some consultant says.

I totally agree! I miss the days when there were many different mom and pop radio station owners in a city... not just a few big corporations voice-tracking everything with formats developed from somewhere else. I really hope "The Rock" can succeed and keep growing.

radiodude
April 25th, 2014, 11:36 PM

Are you kidding? This station is making radio history as we speak! I mean, as soon as they went live online and on the air (even online) people across this country started to tune in! They got people listing as far away as Virginia, and that is thru their website.
Now they are (thanks to me) are on TUNEIN.com. Yes to me, because I suggested to Janice about tunein.com and she was so excited about it! Why not? Now she has a free way for everyone in the WORLD to listen to her station. So yes, this station well last and you know why?
The MUSIC man! Despite, she has no 90's or nothing from today's music at the moment, but it sure does play alot of classics that no other station plays and people LOVE IT! (Go figure). The personalities are great to, she did a super job on finding them.

Rob
April 26th, 2014, 12:58 AM
Tunein is only a directory of stations that stream on the internet. They link to a station's existing streams. My stations are on there. Tunein makes money by trying to get listeners to tune in through them, instead of going through a station's web site or app. I think most radio stations would want their listeners to tune in through their own web site or app. I get listeners from all over the world and most stations that stream do.

How are they making history?
I mean, I think it's great what they are doing, but not sure what you mean by "making radio history".

radiodude
April 26th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Tunein is only a directory of stations that stream on the internet. They link to a station's existing streams. My stations are on there. Tunein makes money by trying to get listeners to tune in through them, instead of going through a station's web site or app. I think most radio stations would want their listeners to tune in through their own web site or app. I get listeners from all over the world and most stations that stream do.

How are they making history?
I mean, I think it's great what they are doing, but not sure what you mean by "making radio history".

Even so, it is a great way for any station to go thru. Then that way ( as I mention) they don't have to make up their own app at all. They do get tons of listeners, and how did they make radio history? What station
can you tell me ROB has ever attracted so many listeners (from day one) online and over the air in their first wk alone? Not many, but this station sure has gotten listeners from around here and in the east.
They got that to, but i suggested to Janice Hunt about Tunein, and some people so far were excited about that. That is what i mean by making radio history in this area. She found a great mix of music so far (and whenever she adds in the 90's all the way to today) then it should be better.

Btw have you noticed that (denverradio,net) account has finally been suspend? So much for that board

Rob
April 26th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Even so, it is a great way for any station to go thru. Then that way ( as I mention) they don't have to make up their own app at all. They do get tons of listeners, and how did they make radio history? What station
can you tell me ROB has ever attracted so many listeners (from day one) online and over the air in their first wk alone? Not many, but this station sure has gotten listeners from around here and in the east.
They got that to, but i suggested to Janice Hunt about Tunein, and some people so far were excited about that. That is what i mean by making radio history in this area. She found a great mix of music so far (and whenever she adds in the 90's all the way to today) then it should be better.

Btw have you noticed that (denverradio,net) account has finally been suspend? So much for that board

I didn't know Denverradio.net got suspended. For how long?
I just looked and see the last post there was from you.
So maybe you are just blocked from it?

As for KCKK, what is your ratings source showing they are doing historical numbers in the first week?

That's a really big and crazy statement to make.

I do like what they are doing, but I'm not seeing what you are saying in the Nielsen ratings for their signals and internet streaming so far. You are sounding pretty "out there".

Top 10 stations in the Denver market do a 500,000 - 700,000 cume. Are they getting at least half of that already with over the air listeners? That would put them on par with KALC and KXPK when those went on the air in the 90s. Nielsen right now is not seeing anything close to that.

Sources and numbers please.

radiodude
April 26th, 2014, 08:03 PM
I didn't know Denverradio.net got suspended. For how long?
I just looked and see the last post there was from you.
So maybe you are just blocked from it?

As for KCKK, what is your ratings source showing they are doing historical numbers in the first week?

That's a really big and crazy statement to make.

I do like what they are doing, but I'm not seeing what you are saying in the Nielsen ratings for their signals and internet streaming so far. You are sounding pretty "out there".

Top 10 stations in the Denver market do a 500,000 - 700,000 cume. Are they getting at least half of that already with over the air listeners? That would put them on par with KALC and KXPK when those went on the air in the 90s. Nielsen right now is not seeing anything close to that.

Sources and numbers please.

Will i guess it was just temporary banishment..
Well that is what I think, anyways, since I noticed they got listeners from other states tuning into that station from the webpage.
So does a lot of other listeners, it's almost like listening to an actuall show on that station.
Well, just ya wait, I am sure they well get more listeners (and hopefully start to make some income to) as time goes on. It's not a bad idea what janice is doing, hiring all the past
DJ's that everyone grew to know and to love. Instead of hiring young people.
Since they started, I have noticed just how popular they quickly have gotten with people here and in other states.
They just started out, give it a few more months.