PDA

View Full Version : The Biggest Classic Hit That Radio Won?t Play

Colorado Media Newsroom
April 11th, 2024, 02:10 PM
From Radio Insight:

https://radioinsight.com/wp-content/images/2024/04/Jolene-200x200.jpgEven before Beyonc??s remake, Dolly Parton?s ?Jolene? was clearly embedded in popular culture for a lot of listeners. It was propelled there by a series of remakes (White Stripes, Miley Cyrus, and almost anybody who did a duets project with Parton), interpolations (Cyrus again with ?Nothing Breaks Like a Heart?), and Parton?s own rising star over the last decade.*
In other parts of the world, “Jolene” has always been in Classic Hits/AC libraries. Five years ago, in my music-researcher capacity, I began encouraging stations to consider it. Some were unwilling to test a 45-year old Country hit that hadn?t crossed over at the time (except in Des Moines). (http://www.las-solanas.com/arsa/survey.php?sv=172407&ix=0&it=246&s1=-1&q=KIOA) Even when it came back strong, some PDs remained skeptical. For a brief time, I harped so predictably on ?Jolene? that I imagined some of the Classic Hits PDs at the other end of the phone taking a drink every time I brought it up. Besides, Classic Hits was doing great back then. I mostly backed off.
But as I write this, Beyonc??s ?Jolene? is No. 1 in the iTunes store. It is the third-most-played new song from Cowboy Carter at CHR, although the Cyrus collaboration ?II Most Wanted? and Post Malone duet ?Levii?s Jeans? are the leaders. It has received 361 spins after six days and nine adds at Country. The rewritten lyrics are one of many heated Cowboy Carter-related topics online, although any attempt at controversy is grasping, since Parton has clearly endorsed the song and would have had to approve any changes of that magnitude.
So shouldn?t Classic Hits and other gold-based stations be playing ?Jolene?? According to Mediabase, Parton?s version received a total of 98 spins this week, 66 of them from Country stations. (All but two of those were from non-reporters, meaning they were either gold-based or Classic Country stations.) There were 15 spins at Adult Hits, mostly from syndicated Jack-FM affiliates. The only Classic Hits station with significant rotation was WISM Eau Claire, Wis.* (https://greatesthits981.com/)
In Canada, there?s a little more acceptance. There were 170 spins on the song last week, with 142 coming from Country radio (and 56 of those from reporters). Canada?s Soft AC ?Breeze? stations have been playing the song since their launch in 2018. There are other spins at Classic Hits and AC as well.
For some of the PDs I spoke to five years ago, it was hard to think of ?Jolene? as anything other than Classic Country. But a lot of its current fans don?t really have any such fixed perceptions. It came to them through the remakes (Mediabase has 65 in their library) or through American Idol. They don?t have any memories of it as a radio record of any sort. A few years ago, I wrote that radio still seems to set the agenda for Classic Hits, (https://radioinsight.com/blogs/231745/the-lost-factor-vs-streaming/) even when it comes to streaming, but ?Jolene? was already an exception at the time.*
Being Classic Country isn?t necessarily a negative for younger listeners. Those Country stations that have expanded their library after years of narrowly focusing on ?New Country? often report that the greatest excitement is often from young listeners. But there are many listeners who just don?t file ?Jolene? anywhere. Wedding DJ and regular commenter Michael Bills often gets requests from couples who don?t ask for other Country (and who don?t seem to care that it?s barely more topically appropriate than ?I Will Always Love You? or ?Every Breath You Take?). When I asked Facebook friends about the song’s place in pop culture, readers were effusive about the song’s relatability or its intro. Nobody said much about how they knew it.
Beyond that, consider how no listener who remembers any hit song from 1974 is in the Classic Hits target demo. For that matter, not that many of the listeners who remember a seemingly timeless hit like ?Summer of ?69? as a current are still in the demo. Some older songs may have been learned as gold titles when today?s 35-54?s began listening to radio. Others, like ?Tiny Dancer,? took on currency later. That 53-year-old song doesn’t sound like much like anything else on Classic Hits, except “Rocket Man.”
Finally, if it’s really hard to get Dolly out of the Classic Country pile mentally, remember that she had six years as a recurring presence at Top 40 and AC radio. Having three big hits (and numerous other mid-charters) in that period means Parton had more of a pop footprint than Kansas, Cutting Crew, Mr. Mister, the Outfield, or Modern English, and she certainly has more currency than any of those current Classic Hits mainstays.
Classic Hits wasn?t getting hurt by what it didn?t play 3-4 years ago. It?s a little less consistently successful now. Trying to swap the ?70s for the ?90s isn?t working for every station. Some Classic Rock stations, unconflicted about still playing the ?70s, are starting to pull ahead, in part because younger listeners aren?t hung up about older songs. In that regard, an older song that works better with younger demos should be especially valuable.

more (https://radioinsight.com/blogs/267076/the-biggest-classic-hit-that-radio-wont-play/)