PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED: 106.7 FM Denver goes "New Country" as The Bull. KBPI 106.7 FM Denver moves to 107.9 FM Ft. Collins/Denver/Colorado Springs. 107.9 FM The Bear Ft. Collins moves to 92.9 FM. Star 92.9 FM Cheyenne moves to 97.1 FM

Colorado Media Newsroom
December 1st, 2017, 05:18 PM
From Radio Insight:

From RadioInsight (https://radioinsight.com)
A move that will eventually include three markets along the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains has begun in Cheyenne WY. IHeartMedia AC (currently Christmas Music) “Star 92.9” KYWY Warren AFB has moved its programming to 97.1 K246CI Cheyenne/100.7 KOLT-HD2 where it replaces “Real Oldies 97.1“. The year and a half old AC format drops from a Class C2 signal to the 250w/2m translator signal that just covers Cheyenne. The next step has been not announced yet, but will see Classic Rock “107.9 The Bear” KPAW Fort Collins CO relocate to the 92.9 signal. The station’s social media has already been updated to new URLs and we reported Monday on the registration of TheBear929.com. That move will drop KPAW from the 100kW/220m 107.9 signal that blankets the region including being audible in many parts of the Denver market to the 33kW/185m 92.9 signal that serves Cheyenne and hits only parts of the Fort Collins/Greeley market. In the Spring 2017 Nielsen Audio ratings, KPAW placed fourth in the Fort Collins market with a 3.7 share, while KYWY and K246CI tied with a 2.1 share in the Cheyenne market. What then happens to 107.9 KPAW? The frequency is now being simulcast on 107.9 K300CP Denver via KPTT-HD2. Is the intent to make KPAW/K300CP a player in the Denver market?
The post iHeart Begins Three Market Format Shuffle In Cheyenne (https://radioinsight.com/headlines/121387/iheart-begins-three-market-format-shuffle-cheyenne/) appeared first on RadioInsight (https://radioinsight.com).
more (https://radioinsight.com/headlines/121387/iheart-begins-three-market-format-shuffle-cheyenne/)

radiodude
December 3rd, 2017, 12:58 PM
I just found that we here in Northern Colorado is going to be loosing Star 92.9, since IheartRadio has something new for that frequency.
That means Star is going to 97.1 a small repeater and a sub channel of KOLT 100.7. Just like what 107.3 and 94.9 is. We all in Northern Colorado well not be able to hear
Star anymore unless we stream it on their Iheart Radio app. They are doing this, just to service Cheyenne only. I wish them luck, I doubt it if it well pan out though!

Chase
December 4th, 2017, 08:48 AM
I just found that we here in Northern Colorado is going to be loosing Star 92.9, since IheartRadio has something new for that frequency.
That means Star is going to 97.1 a small repeater and a sub channel of KOLT 100.7. Just like what 107.3 and 94.9 is. We all in Northern Colorado well not be able to hear
Star anymore unless we stream it on their Iheart Radio app. They are doing this, just to service Cheyenne only. I wish them luck, I doubt it if it well pan out though!

The Bear is moving to 92.9

radiodude
December 4th, 2017, 09:46 PM
Yes they are, and soon something is going to be on 107.9. You know Chase? None of this makes any lack of sense what so ever!
I mean Star is going to loose alot of advertising accounts, and there really is no reason for The bear to move down the dial?
Since this is the very first frequency change since 1994 when Tri-102.5 decided to take over 107.9 and 102.5 became Z-Rock back then?
At least that move made sense.. These changes they don't.

Colorado Media Newsroom
December 5th, 2017, 01:24 AM
From Radio Insight:

The second step in the multi-market programming shuffle has taken place as Classic Rock “107.9 The Bear” KPAW Fort Collins CO has moved to 92.9 KYWY Warren AFB WY as “92.9 The Bear“. 107.9 is currently running redirect messages pointing Bear listeners to the new frequency.

The next step will be the biggest of the three. We can exclusively report that Rock 106.7 KBPI Denver will be relocating to 107.9 and opening up 106.7 for a new format. iHeart has made the filing for the first part of the call letter shuffle for the stations as KYWY will move from 92.9 Warren AFB to 106.7 Denver and KBPI moves temporarily to 92.9. Once completed, the next part of the swap will move KBPI to 107.9 and KPAW to 92.9.

KBPI ranked eighteenth in the Denver market with a 2.4 share in the November Nielsen Audio ratings. A move to 107.9 as part of a simulcast of what is now KPAW and K300CP will still give the station coverage through most of the Denver market and ability to be sold as part of iHeart’s male targeting packages with Classic Rock “103.5 The Fox” KRFX, AAA 97.3 KBCO, Alternative “Channel 93.3” KTCL, News/Talk 850/94.1 KOA, Talk 630 KHOW and Sports 760 KDSP despite being “moved-out” to the Fort Collins market. Only CHR “95.7 The Party” KPTT currently focuses on female demographics in iHeart’s Denver cluster.

Expectations are that iHeart will go after one of Bonneville’s stations currently tied for the market lead by the time the calendar strikes 2018: Country 98.5 KYGO or AC 101.1 KOSI.

more (https://radioinsight.com/headlines/121387/iheart-begins-three-market-format-shuffle-cheyenne/)

Colorado Media Newsroom
December 5th, 2017, 06:25 AM
From All Access:

Some frequency moves at iHEARTMEDIA in NORTHERN COLORADO/SOUTHERN WYOMING, with new locations for two stations.
Classic Rock KPAW (107.9 THE BEAR)/FT.COLLINS, CO moves down the dial to 92.9. AC KYWY (STAR 92.9) moves to the sub channel of Country KOLZ on 97.1, with a smaller footprint. ALL ACCESS ears in the market expect something new to be on 107.9 very soon. Stay tuned.

more (http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/172072/frequency-flips-for-kpaw-107-9-the-bear-kywy-star-?ref=rss)

Chase
December 5th, 2017, 09:50 AM
So a little update. RadioInsight is reporting that KBPI is moving to 107.9 FM and the 106.7 FM frequency will get a new format and the rumor is that it will go Country to compete with KYGO or go AC to compete with KOSI. If anyone recalls when the rumor about KWOF 92.5 The Wolf flipping to sports came along Rob has said that IHeart in interested doing a country format in Denver and at that time it was by Translator.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/121387/iheart-begins-three-market-format-shuffle-cheyenne/

radiodude
December 5th, 2017, 03:26 PM
So a little update. RadioInsight is reporting that KBPI is moving to 107.9 FM and the 106.7 FM frequency will get a new format and the rumor is that it will go Country to compete with KYGO or go AC to compete with KOSI. If anyone recalls when the rumor about KWOF 92.5 The Wolf flipping to sports came along Rob has said that IHeart in interested doing a country format in Denver and at that time it was by Translator.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/121387/iheart-begins-three-market-format-shuffle-cheyenne/

Seriously? Iheart want to for the first time in over a decade or more wants to move KBpI to 107.9??? That is so stupid! I mean the tower for 107.9 is in Laramier county, the tower for 106.7 is in Denver, and if this happens, KBPI won't serve Denver anymore! We all know the signal only goes to North Denver. This whole this is screwed up! It makes no sense this is the worst change in radio history! 92.9 is licensed to Warren Airforce Base, 107.9 is licensed to FOrt collins (all ways has been since 1975!) What the hell is iheart thinking?
OH boy! Fans of 106.7 well NOT be pleased with this move! Iheart is really going to kill two stations.

Joshua
December 6th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Kill 2 stations to compete with powerhouses like KOSI and KYGO. Both KOSI and KYGO have the brand the loyal listeners that have listened to the stations for years. IHeart attempted to compete in Dayton with COX K99.1 FM and it failed. As one can tell by the Wolfs ratings its damn near impossible to compete with a "legacy" country or soft rock outlet.

Rob
December 6th, 2017, 10:50 PM
They probably won't be able to compete with ratings (at least short term), but it will help their revenue with advertising by being able to bundle their stations together in packages to sell ads. They will be able to show they reach more formats and demographics out there. Revenue is better than ratings for any business.

I have been thinking about what format they will do.
I'm thinking Country.
Hint: look at who iHeart Denver's SVP/Programming is and what formats he has done recently. ;-)

There's too many AC, Hot AC, Oldies AC competitors.

Maybe iHeart knows something we don't, like the Wolf is going sports... so that would leave only KYGO to take on.
Yep, I'm ALMOST willing to put money on it. 106.7 FM will be going Country.

radiodude
December 6th, 2017, 11:29 PM
They probably won't be able to compete with ratings (at least short term), but it will help their revenue with advertising by being able to bundle their stations together in packages to sell ads. They will be able to show they reach more formats and demographics out there. Revenue is better than ratings for any business.

I have been thinking about what format they will do.
I'm thinking Country.
Hint: look at who iHeart Denver's SVP/Programming is and what formats he has done recently. ;-)

There's too many AC, Hot AC, Oldies AC competitors.

Maybe iHeart knows something we don't, like the Wolf is going sports... so that would leave only KYGO to take on.
Yep, I'm ALMOST willing to put money on it. 106.7 FM will be going Country.

Then why hasn't KBPI not been announcing the frequency change like The bear has been doing? If The Wolf is going Sports? Same thing? No announcements at all.
I would think they would ( at KBPI) announce the move to 107.9 instead of keeping it quite?

radiodude
December 6th, 2017, 11:35 PM
I just found this article while searching for anything on KBPI frequency change:

http://www.insideradio.com/free/report--signal-shuffle-has-kbpi-getting-out-of-denver/article_95455d64-da5e-11e7-9047-8fab91153f8a.html

From what i read? Stars format is going to 106.7 to for some reason or another try to compete with KOSI? (Does anyone see a battle happening here soon?) (grin)

Chase
December 7th, 2017, 05:56 AM
radiodude It's probably just the call letters that's moving there.

RGDenver
December 7th, 2017, 03:49 PM
iHeart is transitioning in stages. KPAW on air folks announced listeners can hear The Bear only on 92.9 starting Monday morning. I'm only speculating, but perhaps KBPI will start simulcasting on 106.7 and 107.9 next week, starting Monday morning. At that point, on air folks would direct listeners to start using 107.9.

Joshua
December 7th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Then why hasn't KBPI not been announcing the frequency change like The bear has been doing? If The Wolf is going Sports? Same thing? No announcements at all.
I would think they would ( at KBPI) announce the move to 107.9 instead of keeping it quite?

I like to wonder if the Wolf would dent KYGO if they blew up Mix 100 (another station I cannot stand) and put the Wolf on 100.3? It's funny that just south of Castle Rock i can't pick up the Wolf but I lock onto their HD signal in Cheyenne. Put the Wolf on 100.3, Sports on 92.5 and get rid of Mix 100 gets my vote. But I reckon Mix 100 does a good billing despite sounding like a bunch of amateurs.

radiodude
December 7th, 2017, 11:18 PM
Mix hasn';t been a decent station. I think the only reason why they are still around is because of the KIMN call letters! I don't think anyone would want that to happen ( i mean to get rid of the KIMN call letters). Yes it is an annoying station. So monday is the day? I wonder if that is true? Since KBPI has never mad any announcement about this? Which is odd, since i figure they would make some kind of announcement by now if this is going to really happen?
Also Iheart is planning on moving 97.1 Star to 106.7 to compete with KOSI? That is what I also read?

radiodude
December 11th, 2017, 07:01 AM
As of 5:30 this morning, the switch was on and now it seems like Iheart took over 107.9 KDZA. At 6 am Willie B made the official announcement!

Colorado Media Newsroom
December 11th, 2017, 01:39 PM
From All Access:

iHEARTMEDIA Active Rock KBPI/DENVER is now simulcasting on FM translator K300CP/DENVER, plus the signals of Classic Rock KPAW/FORT COLLINS and Active Rock KDZA (Z107.9)/PUEBLO-COLORADO SPRINGS. The move bumps KPAW's format (as 92.9 THE BEAR) to the 92.9 FM slot formerly occupied by AC KYWY (STAR 92.9)/CHEYENNE, WY, which has moved to K246CI/CHEYENNE as STAR 97.1 and is in CHRISTMAS music mode. KBPI will continue to be heard on the 106.7 frequency until the end of the year, when a new format is unveiled.
“I’m excited to bring revamped rock programming to rock fans across COLORADO,” iHEARTMEDIA/DENVER Region Pres. TIM HAGER said. “The opportunity to take THE BEAR heritage brand and serve a larger NORTHERN COLORADO footprint and simultaneously take the heritage brand of KBPI to truly ‘Rock the Rockies’ across the entire state will serve our listeners, partners and the community in a tremendous way!”

more (http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/172301/kbpi-denver-to-simulcast-to-fort-collins-and-color?ref=rss)http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/allaccess/radio-news/~4/lCuKbx-u5ck

Josh
December 11th, 2017, 06:35 PM
If they go country, iHeart seems to like The Bull and Nash FM. 1067thebull.com is owned by iHeart and recently vacated by a station in Detroit that went alternative rock late last month.

radiodude
December 14th, 2017, 11:49 PM
Well here it is almost 1 week later since KBPI changed frequencies and they are still simlucasting on their old frequency! If Iheart really had something to put on 106.7, I would think they would have done it by now!
Nothing yet on 106.7

Chase
December 15th, 2017, 05:39 AM
Well here it is almost 1 week later since KBPI changed frequencies and they are still simlucasting on their old frequency! If Iheart really had something to put on 106.7, I would think they would have done it by now!
Nothing yet on 106.7

They're not going to do anything until sometime after Christmas.

RGDenver
December 15th, 2017, 06:44 PM
For those of you in southern Denver, what do you think of signal quality on 107.9? I've been sampling south of I-225 and am disappointed in the amount of background noise I'm hearing. While the signals on 106.7 and 107.9 are simulcasting, comparison is easy and (to me) there is no comparison in quality. Whereas 106.7's 100K watt signal is crystal clear, the signal at 107.9 isn't as listenable. I assume those of you closer to downtown and points north won't notice any difference, but I sure do in the southern part of town.

radiodude
December 16th, 2017, 10:31 AM
For those of you in southern Denver, what do you think of signal quality on 107.9? I've been sampling south of I-225 and am disappointed in the amount of background noise I'm hearing. While the signals on 106.7 and 107.9 are simulcasting, comparison is easy and (to me) there is no comparison in quality. Whereas 106.7's 100K watt signal is crystal clear, the signal at 107.9 isn't as listenable. I assume those of you closer to downtown and points north won't notice any difference, but I sure do in the southern part of town.

Here I was told they worked on it to perfected! I guess that repeater that is ontop of a building, isn't doing that well after all? I was wondering how good that signal quality is in that part of Denver? Now I know.

RGDenver, call KBPI and let them know this ASAP next week! They are assuming that they come in loud and clear!

Rob
December 16th, 2017, 02:47 PM
I'm in Western Westminster just north of Standley Lake and can't pick up 107.9 FM here, even with an amplified outside antenna. I used to be able to get KPAW 107.9 FM from Ft. Collins clearly before the Denver translator was put on the air. Now 107.9 here is just a bunch of noise.

Rob
December 16th, 2017, 04:00 PM
And after doing some digging, here's what 106.7 FM will become after Christmas...
106.7 The Bull - Colorado's New Country
http://1067thebull.iheart.com/

http://www.coloradomedia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=975&stc=1

You saw it here first! ;-)

Rob
December 18th, 2017, 02:58 PM
It appears iHeart took down the web site for the new 106.7 FM format - 106.7 The Bull - Colorado's New Country (http://1067thebull.iheart.com/). I'm not sure if that happened because they are reconsidering doing the format or if the more likely reason - it just got too much attention once I posted it and then others reposted my info and they wanted it to be a secret for a little longer not to tip off KWOF or KYGO.

I wonder what the higher-ups that run Country KWOF 92.5 FM are thinking, and if they will use iHeart's possible dive into the country format in Denver to change formats? They had registered altitude925.com over the summer (http://www.coloradomedia.net/forums/showthread.php?104454-Rumor-KWOF-92-5-FM-To-Go-To-A-Sports-Format).

radiodude
December 18th, 2017, 05:00 PM
Tune in now!!! New format coming at 5pm Tonight!!

radiodude
December 18th, 2017, 05:12 PM
This is going to be interesting to see how this effects 98.5 and 92.5. All the country music, and they are using KYWY as their call letters. KYGO and KWOF, has something to be worrief about then. 10thousands watts of power.

Rob
December 18th, 2017, 05:53 PM
106.7 FM's web site is back up, but online streaming isn't yet. I'm told they are going to do commercial-free programming until February 1st. They will be changing their call letters to KWBL.

I can't get KBPI at their new location at 107.9 FM. But just noticed it's available if you have an HD Radio on 95.7 FM HD-2. The audio processing on this HD feed sounds terrible though.

radiodude
December 18th, 2017, 05:58 PM
106.7 FM's web site is back up, but online streaming isn't yet. I'm told they are going to do commercial-free programming until February 1st. They will be changing their call letters to KWBL.

I can't get KBPI at their new location at 107.9 FM. But just noticed it's available if you have an HD Radio on 95.7 FM HD-2. The audio processing on this HD feed sounds terrible though.

Really? How is that even possible? 107.9 tower has always been heard in parts of Denver? Unless your talking about the weak transmitter? Something tells me that they didn't work out all the kincks before swapping.
This is going to be truly interesting thing to watch? How well this new station effect both KYGO and KWOF? How did you find out what it well be Rob? Wondering? If they built a new studio for this in the same building?

Rob
December 18th, 2017, 06:16 PM
Really? How is that even possible? 107.9 tower has always been heard in parts of Denver? Unless your talking about the weak transmitter? Something tells me that they didn't work out all the kincks before swapping.
This is going to be truly interesting thing to watch? How well this new station effect both KYGO and KWOF? How did you find out what it well be Rob? Wondering? If they built a new studio for this in the same building?

The 107.9 FM signal in Denver is a 100 watt translator located in downtown Denver. So the signal is weak in a lot of spots. And it causes interference with the 107.9 FM signal from Ft. Collins in places like here at my house in Westminster where I used to receive the old KPAW 107.9 FM signal great. It's probably true for the south of Denver too where KDZA's signal affects it, and vice-versa. They may try to get the Denver translator moved to Lookout Mt. which "could" help.

KBPI's ratings weren't good in Denver and this was a way for them to keep it on the air on a lower quality signal in Denver, while using the KBPI brand in Ft. Collins and Colorado Springs to battle their competitors in those markets. I wonder if they will try to run different commercials in each KBPI market with the 3 signals, or just run more national advertisers since it makes no sense for a lot of local advertisers to advertise in a city they aren't in?

I'm told KWBL will be local in all day parts after they run a syndicated morning show. They will have a new studio on February 1st. iHeart is gunning for KYGO in a big way and I bet starting the beginning of the year, you will see a lot of advertising and billboards for it.

Colorado Media Newsroom
December 18th, 2017, 06:21 PM
From All Access:

iHEARTMEDIA Rock KBPI/DENVER flipped to Country as 106.7 THE BULL today (12/18), launching with 10,000 commercial-free songs in a row, and anchored by PREMIERE syndicated "THE BOBBY BONES SHOW" in mornings. The move brings a third Country outlet to the MILE HIGH CITY, as THE BULL joins BONNEVILLE KYGO, and KSE VENTURES KWOF (92.5 THE WOLF).

SVP/Programming JOJO TURNBEAUGH, who'll also serve as PD for the new station, commented, “We’re proud to be home of COLORADO’s New Country. After launching with ‘two miles’ of continuous music – over 10,000 songs in-a-row – we’ll welcome 'The BONES Show' in the morning followed by local personalities, who will provide listeners with the best Country music and content you won’t hear anywhere else.”

iHEARTMEDIA/DENVER President TIM HAGER added, “Today marks the dawn of a new day for DENVER’s country fans. No other company embraces the country lifestyle better than iHEARTMEDIA. Our unparalleled resources, unique on-air and digital content, and strong industry partnerships – are the foundation upon which 106.7 THE BULL is built. Add local programming, community involvement and the unmatched reach of iHEARTMEDIA DENVER, and it’s clear that 106.7 THE BULL will quickly become the destination for local Country listeners.”

more (http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/172513/kbpi-denver-flips-to-country-as-106-7-the-bull?ref=rss)http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/allaccess/radio-news/~4/1rLPTN8NuYo

radiodude
December 18th, 2017, 07:08 PM
They really didn't test this before they did all this switching! *shaking my head*. I knew this was a bad idea from the start!
And now, they are trying to go after Goliath, that has been #1 in Denver's Market for well over a decade? They well try it with a syndicated morning show? Sheez, has Iheart lost it or something? This is a ridiculous idea! What do you expect? 100k watt verses a 100thousand watt out of the springs? They well always end up fighting and sounding crappy!
Iheart is going to have a hard time competing with KYGO, that's for a sure fact!

Competitors? Here in Northern Colorado? LOL! We got none! Sheez. We don't have a true rock station, they tried it with KPAW and went back to the classic rock format! What they need to do is shut down the repeater and just use both the KDZA's tower and the one up here!
That might work?

Josh
December 19th, 2017, 10:14 AM
Sooooo... JoJo brought his Vegas station to Denver....

Come on KSE, Altitude 92.5.... maybe the Bull can hire some of the Wolf people on.

spikey
December 21st, 2017, 03:50 PM
I wonder if they will try to run different commercials in each KBPI market with the 3 signals, or just run more national advertisers since it makes no sense for a lot of local advertisers to advertise in a city they aren't in?

that would violate 74.1231-i, in that the booster would be be making it's own independent transmissions/program origination.
really, that would just dilute their own marketshare at the expense of traffic and more automation systems to keep around.

what i think is happening here is that the fcc has recently repealed the local studio rule. iheart is really just flipping kbpi while consolidating operations up and down the front range. look for your station to be a local sales office with a box hooked to a transmitter.

Rob
December 21st, 2017, 10:35 PM
The Denver signal isn't a booster, but a translator of a HD signal. So I think they could legally automate their "network" to run separate commercials in each market.

radiodude
December 21st, 2017, 11:36 PM
The Denver signal isn't a booster, but a translator of a HD signal. So I think they could legally automate their "network" to run separate commercials in each market.

It can be done? All they have to do is set it up with their computers at the 107.9 studio in the springs to run their own commercials, and then it re-joins up with KBPI again. This has been going on for years with other stations that carries another signal of another station. All they have to do is synchronize it with KBPI when they come back from their commercial break.

spikey
December 22nd, 2017, 09:40 AM
It can be done? All they have to do is set it up with their computers at the 107.9 studio in the springs to run their own commercials, and then it re-joins up with KBPI again. This has been going on for years with other stations that carries another signal of another station. All they have to do is synchronize it with KBPI when they come back from their commercial break.

well, it depends on how they license it. cochannel boosters must carry identical programming. translators get 30 seconds per hour. Given it's #18 rank and demo, but in multiple markets it'd make sense just to treat it as a regional network; it'd be a strong national machine and youd get all the time rather than splitting it network/affiliate since you're both.

Yes, several automation systems have this sort of thing built in now. rcs calls it wancasting (what a name!), wideorbit had a thing called leader/follower.

radiodude
December 23rd, 2017, 11:23 PM
well, it depends on how they license it. cochannel boosters must carry identical programming. translators get 30 seconds per hour. Given it's #18 rank and demo, but in multiple markets it'd make sense just to treat it as a regional network; it'd be a strong national machine and youd get all the time rather than splitting it network/affiliate since you're both.

Yes, several automation systems have this sort of thing built in now. rcs calls it wancasting (what a name!), wideorbit had a thing called leader/follower.

Humm.. This is an interesting thing Iheart is trying to do! I mean no other radio company in this country has ever tried anything close to do this! Couldn't the station in the springs be set up in away to when KBPI goes into a break that one in the springs can play their own commericals and have the computer know when KBPI goes back to playing music? Couldn't it be done like that?
That station has to have some revenue in order to stay in business unless Iheart plans on closing that station up and just using the transmitter to cover the springs?

radiodude
December 25th, 2017, 01:36 PM
I noticed something interesting on IheartRadio..

They have tons of stations called "The Bull" all across this country, caring the same format and morning show host! I am just surprised about that actually?

DenverDiamondJack
December 25th, 2017, 05:32 PM
Hopefully at some not-so-distant point the Denver market gets a Country Legends/Classic Country FM format like 97.1 FM KTHT Houston, or 680 AM / 104.9 FM KKYX San Antonio.

As compared to other classic country stations across the nation, these two focus exclusively on Country music from generally prior to 1990 -- no Tim McGraw, Brad Paisley, or Kenny Chesney, the dominant chart artists of the post-Garth Brooks Era (George Strait was a consistent dominant 30 year chart artist from the early 80s until earlier this decade).

Minneapolis-St Paul has 106.1 FM KLCI "Bob" with a format that is in the same general ballpark.

This means plenty of music from the Big Great Eight of Country Music: George Strait, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Alabama, Hank Williams Jr, Glen Campbell, Waylon Jennings, and Johnny Cash, as well as other artists ranging from Hank Williams Sr, Marty Robbins, Ray Price, George Jones, Patsy Cline, and Loretta Lynn to Mel Tillis, Reba McIntire , Dan Seals, Steve Wariner, Keith Whitley, Clint Black, The Judds, and Ronnie Milsap.

These three stations do well in their markets, drawing good listenership from demographics age 45 and older that have burned out on classic rock and have not bought into the contemporary pop-rap country sound that has emerged in the last few years.

radiodude
December 25th, 2017, 10:28 PM
Hopefully at some not-so-distant point the Denver market gets a Country Legends/Classic Country FM format like 97.1 FM KTHT Houston, or 680 AM / 104.9 FM KKYX San Antonio.

As compared to other classic country stations across the nation, these two focus exclusively on Country music from generally prior to 1990 -- no Tim McGraw, Brad Paisley, or Kenny Chesney, the dominant chart artists of the post-Garth Brooks Era (George Strait was a consistent dominant 30 year chart artist from the early 80s until earlier this decade).

Minneapolis-St Paul has 106.1 FM KLCI "Bob" with a format that is in the same general ballpark.

This means plenty of music from the Big Great Eight of Country Music: George Strait, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Alabama, Hank Williams Jr, Glen Campbell, Waylon Jennings, and Johnny Cash, as well as other artists ranging from Hank Williams Sr, Marty Robbins, Ray Price, George Jones, Patsy Cline, and Loretta Lynn to Mel Tillis, Reba McIntire , Dan Seals, Steve Wariner, Keith Whitley, Clint Black, The Judds, and Ronnie Milsap.

These three stations do well in their markets, drawing good listenership from demographics age 45 and older that have burned out on classic rock and have not bought into the contemporary pop-rap country sound that has emerged in the last few years.

You know? When Jammin 92.5 was broughten out, and before it became KWOF, they did put a classic country station on there called "WILLIE" (before it was moved to HD2 then psssible got killed off ). We did have one before? I guess it didn;t do to well in Denver? That was the only time i can recall Denver ever having a classic country station on FM?

Chase
December 26th, 2017, 05:54 AM
You know? When Jammin 92.5 was broughten out, and before it became KWOF, they did put a classic country station on there called "WILLIE" (before it was moved to HD2 then psssible got killed off ). We did have one before? I guess it didn;t do to well in Denver? That was the only time i can recall Denver ever having a classic country station on FM?

Classic Country was also on 104.3 FM.

spikey
December 27th, 2017, 02:36 PM
how about 92.5 "big dog", early 90's?

i think market research often says things like people want to defect from "big juicy target A B or C" and it just usually doesn't work that way. at least this way you get a consultant to blame rather than fark it up yourself.